Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Reflection 3

I learned so much from Silva Allen about classroom community and morning meetings. It made me realize the impact and the importance of having a classroom community. Some of the things Silvia said that got shared in morning meeting, were a little scary, but they needed to be expressed and the students had no other environment that they felt comfortable sharing it in. What stood out to me was when she talked about how morning meetings solve behavior problems. I had never thought that having a classroom community would have that kind of effect on students behavior. When students feel comfortable and safe, they will be able to explore there thoughts and learn so much more. Also as a teacher we will discover so much more about our students and how we can teach them. There has to be community in the classroom, students not only need to feel safe around the teacher but also around other class members. It is amazing that all it takes is 30minutes a day, and I think that it is totally worth it. I will defiantly have morning meetings in my classroom.

1 comment:

  1. There is always a community in a classroom, but sometimes that is a very scary place to be. Safety is the goal, but it doesn't just happen.

    ReplyDelete